If you are considering buying or managing a warehouse, one of the first things you'll need is a building. This building should be conveniently located with plenty of room for big trucks to come in to load and unload inventory. Once you've secured a location, there are certain pieces of equipment and types of supplies that you'll need, especially concerning pallets.
Here are three things every warehouse owner needs.
When handling and storing your inventory and merchandise, you're definitely going to need lots of pallets. Pallets are made out of different types of wood and can also be made in a variety of widths and lengths, and number of cross-boards. There are, however, three general pallet designs including:
- Block pallet
- 2-way stringer pallet
- 4-way stringer pallet
You can also buy recycled custom pallets. This type of pallet can be custom-made to fit your specific storing and shipping needs, and if you're concerned about the environment, this type of pallet is made out of recycled materials.
Pallet Racking System
Besides pallets, you'll need a racking system so that you can keep your inventory organized. Here are three types of pallet racking systems from which to choose:
- Selective pallet flow racking - this type of pallet racking system offers convenience and versatility and gives you access to your inventory at all times
- Drive-in/Drive-through pallet racking - this type of racking system is optimum for maximizing storage space plus it offers last in first out and first in first out configurations
- Push back racking - this type of pallet racking system offers a high-density storage option plus it allows you to quickly load or unload inventory
As you can see, the type of merchandise you have in your warehouse, along with the amount of space you have, will determine what type of pallet racking system will best suit your needs.
This piece of equipment is essential in any warehouse as it offers a safe and easy way to move inventory around. While it's true you can use a forklift, there are many advantages for using a pallet jack instead. Some of these advantages include:
- Pallet jacks don't require a lot of maintenance
- Pallet jacks are generally more affordable than a forklift
- Pallet jacks are compact, making them easy to transport and store
In order to power a pallet jack, there are different options available, including hand-pumped pallet jacks and electric pallet jacks. There are also fuel-powered pallet jacks, but these should be for outdoor use only.